Friday, June 8, 2012

Is It That Easy?

Almost four weeks ago:

I was at a red light and had the windows down to let the hot, stale air escape.  I was stuck in a little traffic.  I was singing to myself, as per usual.  I looked to my left and this pretty cute guy was looking at me smiling.  Naturally, I assumed it was because I was a dork and was completely butchering that stupid "Call Me Maybe" song. 

He shouted out, "Hey, let me get your number. I think I want to get to know you." 

I did and I thought, "Whoa.  Did that really just happen?"

Traffic moved and life went on.

Present day:

While I've texted back and forth a few times with Traffic Guy, nothing has really come of it, but that's okay because something important came out of our interaction.

A random guy asked for my number and I gave it to him.  It was simple.  It was hassle-free.  It was worry-free.  It was...great.

Is it always that easy?  It doesn't have to be an epic struggle of wills?  You don't have to worry about saying the right things?  Or wear an outfit that makes you look both thin and somehow like you didn't spend 1 hour and 45 minutes deciding on it?  Or become totally Woody Allen level neurotic and overthink everything?  Have I been going at this the wrong way this whole time?

I didn't have to do anything but be willing to put myself out there, just a little.  I was totally myself and this guy was still, beyond my own comprehension, interested.  It's not that I'm not myself when I meet guys, but I do tone down my innate goofiness/immaturity.  What's the point in that?  A complete stranger became interested while I'm belting out the lyrics of a highly age inappropriate song with total disregard of how I look to others. 

I can be me, the real me, and some guys will actually like that? Mind-boggling.  Why did it take me this long to figure that out?

~j





No comments:

Post a Comment