Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hey, Young Girls

My sister turns 25 today.  While we have our similarities, we're pretty opposite in a lot of ways - we look different, we respond to problems differently and we like to do different things.  Those opposing mentalities used to be an issue when we were younger (she tried to kill me by banging my head on our porcelain bathtub when she was 5, but that's another story altogether), but now I've come to admire some of her strengths that I simply don't have.

She is smart (naturally, she is related to me after all), hard-working, funny (not as funny as me though), really pretty (like, seriously pretty...it's a little sickening), determined and a good mom.  Most of all, she is independent and knows what she wants, which is what inspired me to write this blog today.

It seems that young women I speak with from 18-25 don't know what they want and simply date people for the sake of dating.  They put 1,000 pounds of make-up on while wearing 3 inches of clothing and go out to pick up a guy for the night.  Some of these girls are so concerned with getting a boyfriend that they do practically anything to make that happen.  It's sad and a little desperate.  

My sister is different.  She doesn't play games.  She is unconcerned with relationship drama.  She refuses to take nonsense from guys.  She's a straight shooter and isn't afraid to tell you how she really feels.  She's strong.  She doesn't need a guy around for her to feel good about herself.  She even speaks up for me and I'm the older one.  I respect all these things more than I think I've ever said.

I'm usually timid.  I deal with a lot of stuff from guys that my sister wouldn't put up with - she ain't got time for that!  I am always afraid of offending someone, so I tend not to say what I'm really feeling.  I'm always thinking that I'm the one who's not good enough.  I think that there is a lot for me (and all those young girls) to learn from how she acts and reacts in dating.

Thank you, sister, for teaching me all this stuff.  You're the best.

~J


No comments:

Post a Comment