Monday, September 17, 2012

I Think I Want To Know Ya

I'm about to reveal something personal to you, something that has become a habit for me.  It's a little weird and I've found I am now little addicted to doing it. 

I look at the 'Missed Connections' on Craigslist almost daily.

(For those of you who don't know what that is, here's a little description: there is a section of Craigslist where people can post messages to look for someone they saw in passing, didn't get to really speak with, but want to get to know.) 

I stumbled upon it one day a few years ago when I was trying to sell some video games and fell in love with the whole notion of it.  Not only is it a cute idea, but it's romantic at its very heart.  People post with the hope that the zing they felt for a person wasn't just one sided.  They write a message and put it out into the universe, optimistic that somehow the person they saw in line at Kroger or passed by on the jogging trail is looking for them too.  It doesn't get much more starry-eyed than that.

I'm sure everyone has a story of someone they saw once or twice and thought, "I wish I had talked to that person."  I would be lying if I said I hadn't regretted not talking to a couple of guys I've seen over the years.  This little corner of Craigslist allows the possibility for people to take their own destiny in their hands!  It's just so terribly sweet.

Now, I'm not saying that every post is romantic.  There are some that are mostly about someone seeing someone 'hot' and even though they are married, they wish they could just SEE them again.  And, of course, there are the creepy ones.  (It's Craigslist, so naturally there would be some strange listings...it would be weird if there weren't a few.)  Even so, some of the posts are just so full of hope that it makes my little heart sing. 

The whole thing is a little bit of optimism for a pessimistic world and that's all I need.

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment