Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Difficult Woman

My officemate is a riot and I couldn't be luckier to have her around.  She makes going into work fun. Originally from the Philippines, she has all kinds of fun things to say about the single life I haven't heard before.  The other day she told me something that I've been marinating on: there is a saying where she is from, if a person isn't married by the time that they're 30, they are either a difficult woman or they are gay.  I found this very, very interesting. 

Just to rule things out, I know I'm not gay. 

So, that leaves the other, more heinous, option - that I am a difficult woman

Could this be true?   In the states, it's not unusual for a woman to still be single at my age.  We are told to be picky, to be selective, that we deserve more than settling for someone, but when does the weeding of potential suitors become detrimental?

Some friends of mine have lists of things that their partner must or must not have/do.  Some of the lists are quite extensive.  It isn't surprising that they are still single!  (I mean, really how many Hispanic engineerers between the ages of 27-35 who work out frequently who have a house/condo, but no children are you going to find?  Really.)  They only talk to those type of guys, leaving out whole segments of the dating population.  Hello!  There are perfectly nice, quality men outside of those boundaries!  (Don't ask me where they are though, cause I still haven't found out.)

As for me, I'm a little more realistic.  You can't judge anyone based on their "stats."  (Lord knows I don't want to be judged on mine.)  I'm simple.  I have a list of things the person I date can't do: no drugs, no illegal activities, no abusive tendencies.  I have a list of things the person I date must have: a job, a stable life, a kind heart.  Everything else is debatable.  It's more of a "can I deal with this habit/minor (or major) annoyance?" once we get to know each other, which is the whole purpose of dating, isn't it?  Does this make me difficult?  I don't think so.

So, if I'm not too difficult and I'm not gay, what gives?  Maybe I'm more difficult than I think...   

4 comments:

  1. See, this is something old people say in my country, same people who advise against bathing when you have your period (eeww) so I wouldn't trust what they say really :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like Tony Robins says "nobody can beat me, but me".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You know, I was going to write that, but I thought my pop culture reference was outdated.

      Delete